Sunday 20 March 2011

Ideal Home Cake Decorator of the Year 2011!!!

Who'd have thunk it!






My dear friend forwarded me an email about the competition some time back... I had my eye on it. It was organised by the event team behind the Ideal Home Exhibition 2011. But after a close family friend passed away it really wasn't exactly the first thing on my mind. Anyway, somehow I made some time to put together an entry for the competition. 


The brief was to "create fabulous and spectacular cake designs worthy of the royal occasion" and a cake that would "celebrate the wedding and all that it embodies about the Great British spirit." 


So on the morning of I set about trying to create a simple (only had 4 hours) but impactful design. Thinking about the 'Great British spirit' I decided to theme the cake around two things: our classic vintage heritage (which clearly has made it's comeback) and food!






When I got to the exhibition, I found that there were actually two categories - one of them was for the 'professionals' and then there was the 'other one' - for the rest of us! Lol. Did I have a slightly bruised ego?? Hell yes! I found out that the professional category was by invite only. However, my cake was pretty pansy compared to the cakes of the professionals!  


I definitely have my sights set on the professional category for next year...  (well, atleast one can try!)


This year the professional category was won by the wonderful Michelle of Michelle Cakes (http://www.michellecakes.co.uk/) and her highly skilled entry is below! Wow. This blew my mind - especially the carving of Kate it's brilliant!













No comments:

Post a Comment